With so many destinations and things to do in Arlington, it can be hard to decide where to go first. This guide provides a map of Arlington that shows the most popular attractions and how close they are together.
Map of Arlington (Texas)
Arlington is a city in Virginia, in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The population was estimated to be over 228,000 as of July 1, 2009. Arlington was founded in 1752 by George Washington, who named the town after his home county of Argyllshire in Scotland. Arlington is located in Northern Virginia along the Potomac River and adjacent to Alexandria, Fairfax, and Falls Church.
Arlington has been designated a global city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. The city’s economic base includes government services, defense contracting, business and financial services, information technology, professional and scientific services, tourism, and manufacturing.
Arlington is home to two universities: George Mason University and Virginia Tech.
Blog Section: What to do in Arlington?
There are many things to do in Arlington if you want to enjoy your time there. Here are some of the best activities that visitors can participate in:
-Visit one of the many museums in Arlington such as The Corcoran Gallery of Art or the George Mason University Museum of Fine Arts.
-Take a walk through one of the many parks or gardens that Arlington has to offer like Buzzard Point Park, Fairlington Historic District National Historic Site, Arlington Memorial Bridge and Virginia Square Park. -Enjoy the museums of Arlington that they have such as The Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington House or the Children’s Museum of Virginia.
-Hang out with friends at one of the bars in Arlington such as The Tap Room at Fort Belvoir or The Blackthorn Pub at Virginia Square to get a taste of what the real D.C. night life is about.
-Enjoy different types of games like corn hole, beer pong and chess.For more information on sports in Arlington, click here.
The Arlington Travel Guide For Tourists Photo Gallery
How to Get To Arlington Transportation
Arlington is located in Northern Virginia, and can be accessed by car, train, or bus. The most convenient way to get to Arlington is by car. Arlington is well-connected with major highways and roads, so finding a route to your destination is easy.
The easiest way to get to Arlington from Washington, D.C. is via the George Washington Memorial Parkway (I-66). From the I-66 eastbound exit, take Route 7 south until you reach the Arlington County line. From the I-66 westbound exit, take Route 7 north until you reach the Arlington County line. Once you reach the Arlington County line, take Route 488 south until you reach the Rosslyn Interchange and make a left onto Route 7 south.
From Washington, D.C., it’s also possible to get to Arlington by train. The closest Amtrak station is in Alexandria, which is about an hour away by car or train. To get to Arlington from Alexandria, take Amtrak’s Silver Star Line train to Union Station in D.C., and then take bus 901 or 902 from Union Station to Rosslyn Interchange and make a left onto Route 488 south.
What is There to Do in Arlington?
Arlington is a large city, but don’t let that discourage you! There are plenty of things to do in Arlington, whether you’re looking for activities to do with your family or something to do on your own. Here are five of the most popular things to do in Arlington:
1. Tour the Pentagon: The Pentagon is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Arlington. This enormous building is home to the United States Department of Defense and is an incredible sight to see. Admission is free, and there are several tours available that will take you through the building from top to bottom.
2. Take a Walk through History at Fort Myer: Fort Myer has been a military installation for over 150 years, and it’s a great place to take a walk through history. You can explore the grounds, see the original fortifications, and learn about some of the historical events that have taken place at Fort Myer. Admission is free, and parking is free as well.
3. Visit Rosslyn Chapel: Rosslyn Chapel is one of Arlington’s most popular tourist destinations. This beautiful chapel was built in 1753 by General James Ross (an important figure in the French and Indian War) and is a meeting place for Freemasons. Rosslyn Chapel has many interesting features, including stained-glass windows and an unusual bell tower.
4. Take a Ride on the Arlington Memorial Bridge: The Arlington Memorial Bridge is one of D.C.’s most iconic landmarks, and it’s also one of Arlington’s main attractions. This bridge connects to Washington, D.C., over the Potomac River, which makes it easy to visit many national parks in the area (including neighboring Great Falls).
Must See Places
Arlington is a great place for tourists to visit. There are many must see places in Arlington, and each one offers something unique. Some of the most popular tourist destinations in Arlington include the George Mason University campus, the Pentagon, and Old Town Alexandria.
A Day In Arlington
Arlington is home to many tourist attractions, making it a great destination for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re looking to visit a famous monument or explore unique shops and restaurants, there’s something for everyone in Arlington. Here are five fun things to do in Arlington this summer:
1. Visit the Pentagon. The Pentagon is home to the Department of Defense and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Arlington. Tour the iconic building and learn about its history.
2. Take a walk around Rock Creek Park. This sprawling park is perfect for a summer afternoon walk, and has plenty of attractions for visitors of all ages. Try out the playground, picnic areas, or fishing creek.
3. Visit the Historic District of Alexandria. Founded in 1749, Alexandria is one of Arlington’s oldest neighborhoods and contains many historic buildings and monuments. stroll along King Street or stop by one of the charming shops on lower King Street.
4. Check out the local art galleries. Arlington has several art galleries that are worth checking out if you’re interested in contemporary or traditional art styles. Some galleries offer free admission on certain days during the week.