TOP 10 CAFES IN AUSTRIA
1. Cafe Demel, Vienna (93). Once confectioner for the Haps- burg Imperial Court.
2 Cafe Hawelka, Vienna (p.94). A down-to-earth family- owned-and-operated cafe.
3. Cafe Tomaselli, Salzburg(105). A classy cafe in busi ness for well over 200 years.
4. Cafe Traxlmayr, Linz. A crowded, elegant cafe where you can try the city’s delicious Linzer Torte.
5. Cafe Central, Vienna (p.93). Former haunt of Europe’s most famous writers, artists, and intellectuals.
6. Cafe-Konditorei Grendler, Zell am Ziller. Award-winning desserts are served on the banks of a mountain river.
7. Cafe Stein, Vienna (94). A busy modern alternative to the more classical cafes in Vienna.
8. Hofgarten Cafe, Innsbruck (113). In the middle of Inns bruck’s large public park.
9. Cafe Willendorf, Vienna (p.92). An artsy, racy cafe at the heart of Vienna’s gay and les bian scene.
10 Cafe-Konditorei Hag- mann, Krems. Serves wonder ful desserts with true Danube charm.
Toskana, Sigmund Haffnerg. 11. This college cafeteria has the cheapest eats in the Altstadt. Entrees ‚4. Open July-Aug. M-F 9am-3pm; Sept.-June M-Th 8:30am-5pm, F 8:30am-3pm. O
Cafe Tomaselli, Alter Markt 9. Indulge. The delectable drinks (‚4-6) and desserts (‚4-7) here have been a favorite with wealthier Salzburgers since 1705. Open M-Sa 7am-9pm, Su 8am-9pm.
Cafe Cult, Hellbrunnerstr. 3 (84 56 01). In the Kun- stlerhaus building. This Mediterranean cafe is popular with the artistic set of Salzburg. Eat on the glass terrace overlooking the river. Entrees ‚6-9. Open M-F 9am- 11pm, Sa 8am-3pm. No credit cards.