If you are planning a trip to Eritrea and want to know more about the city, this article is for you! In it, you will find information about the fascinating capital city of Asmara.
Map of Asmara
Eritrea is a small, landlocked country in the Horn of Africa. With an estimated population of just over 5 million people, Eritrea is one of the poorest and least-developed countries in the world.
The country has been plagued by a long-running political crisis since its independence from Ethiopia in 1991. In 1998, a mass military coup led to indefinite rule by a military junta. A 2008 referendum sought to resolve the crisis but failed to produce a solution. In 2009, opposition parties and civil society groups called for a boycott of the elections due to fears of serious human rights abuses.
Despite these challenges, Eritrea offers an intriguing mix of ancient culture and stunning natural beauty. Highlights include the Unesco World Heritage Site at Asmara, where you can explore relics from centuries of imperial rule; the Danakil Desert, home to some of Africa’s most spectacular sand dunes; and Mount Semeti, one of Africa’s highest peaks at 11,196 feet (3,489 meters).
Asmara Travel Guide: The Untapped Gem Of Eritrea Photo Gallery
Where to Go in Asmara
Asmara is a city that has a lot to offer visitors, no matter what their interests may be. It’s a fantastic place to both explore on foot and take in all the city has to offer by renting a bike or using public transportation. Here are some tips for maximizing your time in Asmara:
1. Start your day with breakfast at one of the many cafes around town. There are plenty of options for everything from Western-style breakfasts to traditional Eritrean teff and injera dishes.
2. Head out into the outlying neighbourhoods after breakfast to explore on your own. There are plenty of interesting places to find, from ancient churches and mosques to quaint little markets and street vendors.
3. Take a break from exploring and head back into town for lunch at one of the many restaurants in central Asmara. You’ll find everything from pizza joints to Ethiopian food stalls.
4. Spend the afternoon exploring more neighbourhoods or taking in one of Asmara’s many cultural events, such as music or dance performances at one of the local stadiums or theatres.
5. If you’re looking for something fun and adventure-packed, take a small boat to Lake Tana and ask the captain to guide you around. The beautiful scenery, vast lake, and relaxing atmosphere make this an enjoyable afternoon. Don’t forget to bring your camera!
6. After spending time at Lake Tana, head back into town for dinner and nightlife in Asmara. There are plenty of bars and nightclubs open until late night here so you’ll be able to find something that fits your mood.
7. If you’re looking for another day trip, head out towards the Red Sea coast to relax on one of Eritrea’s sandy beaches or explore some of the historical sites there such as old mosques or ancient tombs.
Hotels in Asmara
There are a few hotels in Asmara that cater to tourists. They are all located close to the Tigrayan Avenue, which is the main thoroughfare in the city.
The most popular hotel chain in Asmara is called Orient Express. This chain has five different hotels in the city, and they all offer excellent rates for tourists. The rooms at Orient Express are large and comfortable, and they come with all the amenities that a tourist might need.
Another popular chain in Asmara is called Quality Inn. This chain has three different hotels in the city, and they all offer good rates for tourists. The rooms at Quality Inn are spacious and clean, and they come with free Wi-Fi access.
The last hotel chain that we will mention is called Comfort Inn. This chain has one hotel in Asmara, and it offers great rates for tourists. The rooms at Comfort Inn are large and comfortable, and they come with all the amenities that a tourist might need.
Things to Do in Asmara
1. Asmara is a beautiful city and deserves a visit if you’re in Eritrea. There are a lot of things to do in Asmara, including exploring the old town, going to the markets and hiking in the mountains.
2. One of the best things to do in Asmara is walk around the old town. The streets are narrow and winding, and there are lots of interesting looking buildings.
3. Another great thing to do in Asmara is visit the markets. The markets are huge, and there are lots of different stalls selling everything from clothes to spices.
4. Finally, if you’re interested in hiking, there are plenty of trails available in the mountains around Asmara.
Restaurants in Asmara
If you’re looking for a delicious Eritrean meal, you’ll want to check out some of the restaurants in Asmara. Here are five of our favourites:
1. Afeworker’s Kitchen – This restaurant is tucked away down an alleyway, and it’s well worth searching for. The food is Yum, and the service is friendly and attentive.
2. Mama Africa – This restaurant is located in the heart of the city, and it’s always bustling with locals and tourists alike. The food is great, but be sure to try their specialty dish – samosas filled with chicken or beef.
3. Yaya’s – This little family-owned restaurant has been serving up traditional Eritrean cuisine for years. The ambiance is informal and friendly, and the food is delicious.
4. Mama Mia’s Pizza & Pasta – If you’re looking for something a little more extravagant than street food, Mama Mia’s Pizza & Pasta is perfect for you. They offer various Italian dishes such as lasagna and pizza, all made with fresh ingredients.
Bars and Clubs in Asmara
There are a few bars and clubs in Asmara that offer good drinks and some respectable dancing. Whether you’re looking for a place to relax after work or want to party the night away, these spots should fit the bill.
The KFC Bar is a great place to start your night if you’re looking for an affordable drink and some lively music. The bar is open until late, and the staff is always happy to serve you. The downside is that it can get a bit noisy, so be prepared to shout over the music.
If you’re more of a club person, then The Loft is definitely worth checking out. This spot has tons of space and excellent soundproofing, so you can dance all night long without worry about waking up your roommates. The Loft also offers discounted drinks for students, so it’s a great place to go if you’re on budget.
If you’d like to explore different bars throughout Asmara, then downloading the Asmara Map app is a great way to do that. The app has detailed maps of all the bars and clubs in town, so you can find the perfect spot for your next party.